It feels so strange... moving my jaw up and down in order to pulverize food for easier digestion. The action stirs distant memories of a time long ago... five days ago, in fact, which was the last time I chewed anything!
The Past Week's Adventure in Resilience
That's because I've spent the last week doing Blessed Herbs' Colon Cleanse, and what a super cleanse it is! What basis do I have for making that claim? Simple, by the visible results.
You see, with a colon cleanse, seeing is believing. What you're out to eliminate from your system is the toxic mucoid plaque that's lining you colon / large intestine / bowel. And it's easy to identify because it's totally different in color and texture from your usual bowel movement. Here's what it looks like (no, this isn't mine ;-)
Mucoid plaque is long, rubbery, usually somewhere between very dark green and black. This was the first time using an all-herbal colon cleanse that I've been able to eliminate this stuff.
Previously, I was convinced that the only way to do this was by doing colonic hydrotherapy - that is, using water under pressure to flush out the colon. The only problem with the latter is convenience, because it will probably cost you a few hundred dollars to have it done professionally, or you can probably get set up to do it at home for a couple hundred or so.
So kudos to Blessed Herbs for a really effective colon cleanse that's so convenient to use and doesn't require colonic hydrotherapy!
Why Bother Cleansing Your Colon?
Of course, the begs the question of why you would want to cleanse your colon. Well, if you're a reader of this blog, you probably already know, but briefly, here's why:
- As the plaque builds up over time, it leaches toxins directly into your blood stream, compromising the function of all you cells and significantly increasing the toxic load on your system
- The plaque inhibits your ability to absorb nutrients from your food, creating a kind of internal "malnutrition" no matter how good your diet is
- If you have spent any of your life on the "Standard American Diet" (SAD), you can be sure you're carrying around some unwanted pounds of this stuff (consider that even though my diet is heavily organic, mostly follows the rules of food combining and that I've done colonic hydrotherapy in the past, I still eliminated about eight feet of plaque this time around!)
Know What You're Getting Into...
Now, before you run off to grab their kit, let me tell you up front that this does require some adjustments to your lifestyle for the duration of the cleanse. You go through three stages:
- Stage 1: The 3 day pre-cleanse, where you eat ever decreasing portions of raw, organic food.
- Stage 2: The 5 day liquid-only cleanse. That's right, NO solid food, for reasons I'll explain below. And as my business advisor, Kathy, so kindly reminded me last week, "liquid only doesn't include having a beer on your patio!" You'll be on water and organic fruit juice, with some vegetable broth if you want it. Even my traditional fruit smoothie was out of bounds.
- Stage 3: The 1 day break-the-fast, where you start slowly (since your digestive system has been largely in shut-down mode for several days), with a diet of fresh fruits and veggies, steamed veggies, brown rice or baked potato.
So there you have it - nine days invested total and well worth it!!
~ Dr. Symeon Rodger