Wednesday 19 January 2011

Unravelling the Vitamin D Mystery

One of the disturbing facts about having done my formal training in nutrition a little over ten years ago is that some of what I was taught has been superseded by new information.

A case in point, and one very much on my mind as winter approached, was the mystery of Vitamin D.  And a mystery it is, since we don't yet have all the answers.  However we do know the following:
  • Vitamin D regulates a large number of critical processes in your body
  • And you're almost certainly Vitamin D deficient 
Hmmm.... sounds like the start of a serious problem you might want to nip in the bud.  

To help you understand the essential facts about Vitamin D, here's a great explanation by Dr. Joseph Mercola:











As Winter Approached...

Back in October-November last year I did some research on the Vitamin D question and consulted some experts to try to learn more about how it contributes to maintaining your health and personal resilience.


Living in the second coldest national capital on the planet, where getting sunshine on your skin is a real challenge from November through April, I was looking for a solution for myself and my family.  Yes, it can be nice and bright outside with all the snow, but you're all bundled up because of the cold.  Good thing you can absorb at least some Vitamin D through your eyes, as long as you're not blocking UV-B rays with sunglasses, of course.

But that's no guarantee of maintaining adequate D levels.  Far from it.  So I was looking at supplements and naturally ran into some concerns about the source, quality and absorption (perennial problems with supplements) when I came across the "Sunshine Mist" non-aerosol Vitamin D spray Mercola mentions in the video. 

After using it for a couple of weeks now, I can truthfully say I'm delighted with it and much more confident about getting enough Vitamin D this winter!  So if Vitamin D is one of your concerns, I'd advise you to check it out!

~ Dr. Symeon Rodger  

 **The contents of this blog post are not to be considered as medical advice.  Always consult a physician before beginning / modifying a fitness program or before undertaking lifestyle modifications that could impact your health.**

No comments:

Post a Comment